Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Deadline 1 - done!

Well, one week late, but I got the proposal out the door. Yeah! Hopefully my adviser will respond soon (she is on vacation in the Caribbean.)

From Dec'08 - Deserts

Unlike the first 2 drafts I wrote, the final one felt doable, especially as a proof of concept. The best thing about it, whatever I finish I feel I could use on the job market -- and that feels good. Also feel like the design is something that can grow over time and be used for different disciplines. I like that.

Now onto the next 3 things - will try to get something in so I can attend the Games Developer Conference in March (thanks for the suggestion Carla); will reshape a paper I wrote last spring -- which upon second reading is pretty good -- as a thought paper for potential employers (such as DukeCE); and yes, need to finish Module 5 of the Java course -- truly one the most tedious e-learning experiences of my life.

Onwards!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rani - Good to see you are doing well. The DukeCE layoffs prompted thoughts of "what the heck is Ranigirrl up to?" I didn't know you had left DukeCE until I asked Logeson about you today. He mentioned you were in Palo Alto. A couple of Googles later I found you guys and this blog. Didn't know Pete is a big time CEO (does he still drive like a 1976 private detective?). Didn't know you no longer live on Watts St. (that's what happens when you move to Northern Durham). Too busy in my world I guess. Still grinding and living off the tedium and boredom. . . still built to handle it though and still love the dirty work everyone else despises. Give me a jingle. kku@duke.edu or kelly.umstead@gmail.com.
click this and scroll down to Dave Odom: A true winner
This was published in The State (Columbia, SC newspaper) last February.
Cheers! Kelly