Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Learning: Demystify & Non-linear

Sometimes it takes a while to remember the why of what you do -- sometimes that happens in the middle of the night.

Many years ago, 1996 to be more exact, I was in a program called InfoTech at Capliano College. It was a 10 month intensive multimedia program -- it was one of the best learning experiences of my life. Before that I knew almost nothing about computers or the Internet. That program launched my web design career, gave me the skills to find work in the States (was living in Canada at the time), and it was also one of the most creative periods of my life.

Back then I started many designs, most of which I never had time to finish. Those are coming back to me now (the files do exist, somewhere in storage...)

At the time I was very much interested in the non-linearity of learning and in demystifying bodies of knowledge. That desire to demystify started my current interest in accounting and finance (aka money). There was an interface design I did back then to demystify the words on the back of a chocolate bar wrapper* that I called the "Wall of Words" -- a beautiful, neon-like, glowing list of food additives (how I loved Photoshop back in the day) that you could click on to find out more about what was in your chocolate bar. Simple concept, beautifully executed. What I also liked about this design was the way you could access knowledge - in a non-linear way. It reminds me of how one learns a new domain knowledge -- it's usually not in a sequential manner laid out in text books - -it's more haphazard. It also reminds me a tag cloud.

Having written the second draft of my proposal I will revise one more time. This is my way in. I realize now that it's not the mechanic I've been looking for but the visceral experience of being overwhelmed when faced with learning a new thing; and the frustration and pleasure of discovering one's own way through the wall. To demystify a domain in a non-linear way. This is a experience that I can play with in many different ways.

I can sleep now.

*this was part of a larger project to demystify chocolate and understand the complexities of making this divine food.

2 comments:

brownstudy said...

Rani -- a most excellent post! All it takes is that shift in perspective and all is made clear. Life needs more A-ha moments like that.

I'm experiencing that shift with the fellowship essay I'm writing. My way in to the material was to realize that my being a tech writer was really my desire to educate. The subject matter, while important, becomes less so when seen from that longer perspective. It makes the material much easier to shape.

Back to the writing!

rani said...

Mike - thanks, glad you enjoyed the post. Good luck on your fellowship essay and look forward to hearing about it. Onwards!