Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Marmalade, Jam & Java

As I wait for feedback on my first draft, I've been busy knocking a few things off my list that have been hanging around for a while.

image courtesy SimplyRecipes

For instance, the 2 dozen+ Seville oranges I bought back in late January, early February. Well, the contractors for some crazy reason, decided to eat 3 -- and realized that they were bitter and sour (HELLO!). Then, byyesterday, 3 had rotted. So that left about 18-20. Made the first batch and wow - are they sour or what! It's marmalade alright. Pete should like it. Next batch I'll adjust for my sweeter tastes -- less rind, more sugar. Yum!

It's also the beginning of strawberry season in California. There was someone selling half-dozen pints by the side of the road, so a friend and I split them. About a 1/3 were perfectly ripe and delicious for eating (shared with the contractors, they liked.) The rest were a little tart - perfect for jam. So I made a quickie strawberry jam. Didn't quite set right -- fruit to sugar ratio was probably off -- and wowser -- so sweet. Will adjust down. Maybe I should try a strawberry orange mix...will let you know.

7 jars of marmalade so far, 7 jars of strawberry jam.

And Java -- as in the programming language. Restarted my studying and realized I would just die if I had to do another moment of the online course -- so incredibly tedious and boring. It puts me to sleep with 20 minutes. Better than Ambien. So I bought a recommended book and will slam through that -- just need to get this certification done in 2-3 weeks or so.

Hmmmm...what else can I make into a jam?

1 comment:

hickcity said...

The best strawberries I have ever had are in Napa at the base of the Silverado Trail (near Trancas Rd.), grown and sold by a Laotian family. You have to come try them - better than candy.