Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Months 2-7 (Mar-Sep '08) - an audit

I feel that I need to do some accounting for myself -- accounting and audit being appropriate words for what my masters is about (I'll get to it soon, promise.) What have I been doing for the past 7 months?

Mar - Taking online cognition & learning course from TC. Paper due this month. More catching up on sleep. Started reading The Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge.
Apr - Renovations begins on the house. I leave for Vancouver to visit my family for 3 weeks and get away from the demolition. First time in 11 years that I've spent more than a week with them. (Parents got a new dog - Lucy!) Return at end of month. Coursework continues.
May - Family visits for a week. Term paper due. Finished course.
Jun - Mom has a sudden "opportunity" for knee replacement surgery. Back to Vancouver for 2 wks to help. Ended up dealing with own medical stuff when I returned (end of the fiscal year!) Finished reading the Fifth Discipline.
Jul - Work on the concept for the educational game design. Subject area: Accounting/Finance - read 2 books on Financial Accounting. Return visit to Vanc. mid-month to check on mom and make blueberry jam. Have to deal with fixing up house in NC which is starting to have problems after a year on the market.
Aug - Brother's family visits for first wk in August. Play tourist for a week. Read book on Cash Flow and flesh out game design. Broke tooth - no dental. Dealing with that. NC house stuff continues.
Sep - The moment of truth. To do what I want to do, I have to learn Flash - Actionscript. I have resisted being defined as a programmer, and thus learning programming because I wanted to be known as a designer. But since I've decided I'm working at the intersection of games, learning and business -- guess what? I'd better get over that identity crisis fast. A friend helps me figure out a way to be accountable for myself and others for getting my Masters done. I start reading Colin Moock - Actionscript 3 book.

I don't know how I managed to go to take 3 graduate courses a semester and hold down a job 4+ days a week for the 18 months before moving to the Bay Area. I can't imagine doing that again.

Time flies when your catching up on your unlived life.

6 comments:

V Yonkers said...

Rani, it only took me 10 years (2 houses, a husband, 2 children, and 3 jobs later) to finish my Masters thesis.

Now I'm working on my Ph.d. dissertation. I'm hoping it won't take 10 years for that (although, at the rate I'm going, it might just).

rani said...

Wow - thanks for the perspective. It helps to have others share their experiences. I have to be honest and hope the Masters doesn't take that long! Best of luck with the PhD -- would love to know more.

Anonymous said...

I've spent 8 years thinking about taking a masters. Gosh, I'm thinking that when I've signed up and completed the thing it will be just in time for retirement. Veronika

Anonymous said...

Hey Rani, I think you're further along than you think you are. Hang in there. We're going to be flying down to New York for graduation next May together :)

rani said...

Veronika - maybe you should do that masters..no?

Gina - thanks, need that encouragement. Yes, focus on graudation!

brownstudy said...

Good to see you're putting some of that restless procrastination energy to work with the blog! Love catching up with you and your busy life.

Would love to hear more about "A friend helps me figure out a way to be accountable for myself and others for getting my Masters done."

You'll find yourself with newfound energy when you can say this thing is DONE and that giant open loop is closed off.

If you can find a way to be interested in the process, so that the final product is way way off your radar, that might be another way into the zone.

I take my research methods course next spring so I can start my masters project early. I've decided recently it's my destiny to pursue a PhD, so that'll be another 5 yrs of school, but I like school, I like it better than working for a living. I realized that, yes, I'll be in my early 50s by the time I get it, but I'll be in my early 50s anyway, so why the hell not. It's more risky to stand still and not move ahead.

Liz is listening to the debates, so I need to close my door (homework, doncha know...)

Love to you both -- meb