Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Structured Procrastination & Getting Help

Here - this is why I am doing this blog...it's a form of structured procrastination (thanks mikeB for reminding me of procrastination in your comments. Also wanted to expand on "how a friend helped me."

Structured Procrastination
"The brainchild of Stanford University philosophy professor John Perry, structured procrastination involves doing small, low-priority tasks to build a sense of accomplishment and the energy to tackle more important jobs. Mr. Perry, a chronic procrastinator, suggests followers choose an important task, but defer work on it while tackling others. 'Don't be ashamed of self-manipulation,' he says." (quoted from WSJ article "How to Put Off Work--Constructively") Click above for his web site (yet another form of procrastination?)

Just so you know, I've been energized by doing this blog. I'm putting together ideas that have been floating around in my head, doing a PPT as a beginning of an outline (yes, I know, but for some reason, it's easier to organize my thoughts on PPT... a form of indoctrination perhaps?)

Helped by a friend One of the things that helped me get out of my rut was a friend who needed someone to practice her coaching on. I volunteered. We talked for a mere half-hour about identity, resistance (just touching on those subjects.) Then we made a plan together. Having someone to talk to about my masters helped break it down into manageable chunks. She's a great coach and I'm happy to recommend her. Just let me know. Thanks V.

Thanks for all the comments and support. It helps to know you're reading -- keep me accountable!

p.s. I think I will get the structured procrastinator t-shirt, later.

3 comments:

Carla C. E. Fisher said...

If needed, can I get a note that says reading your blog is structured procrastination? :)

Well done, Rani. I might have to take a page from your book and follow in these bloggy footsteps. I hope you find success in this journey!

Jason Willensky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Willensky said...

Rani --

Structured procrastination has a lot of appeal, no question. My big deal is that I have a tendency to be a non-starter, then complete something in one sitting. First anxiety builds, then I'm chained to the PC!

I don't remember where I read this tip, but one bit of self-deception really helps. If I'm completely resistant to getting started on a main task, I make a deal with myself that I'm going to work on it for 15 minutes. I have the option of quitting after the quarter-hour, but 97% of the time the kickstart works and I make substantive progress and go for hours -- way before deadline.

I have only basic knowledge about psychology, the brain, and the triggers for good work -- but maybe it's all tied to what Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi describes as "flow." Once you get started...

Thanks for your comments on my newborn blog. We were both thinking about procrastination, I guess :-)